Cleveland Sports’ Weekend in Review is a way for you to stay current with all of the happenings of our 3 beloved teams over the weekend. Many of you, especially in the summer, have busy schedules and aren’t able to keep up on all things Cleveland, but Monday, while working hard (No Case of the Mondays here right?), need to make sure you didn’t miss anything important. Well fret no more, here is everything you need to know related to Cleveland sports, for you the fan:
- The Indians had another tough weekend losing 2 of 3 to the Oakland Athletics.
- For the entire week the Indians went 3 and 3 in series against the Twins and Athletics.
- Game 1 ace Justin Masterson gave up 3 runs in 7 and two thirds innings but the offense was only able to muster 2 rungs
- Game 2 Ubaldo Jimenez took a no hitter into the 6th, even though he walked 5. The offense backed Ubaldo with 7 runs and the Tribe took the middle game of the series.
- Nick Swisher and Michael Bourne hit homeruns, both still slumping.
- Scott Kazmir returned from “dead arm” in the series finale only to be lit up for 5 runs in 5 innings.
- The offense again struggled with only 3 runs including a Ryan Raburn homerun.
- The A’s are right in the thick of the AL West and Wild Card races so losing a series to them isn’t surprising
- The Indians are still 7 games behind Detroit in the AL Central and is now 4.5 games behind Oakland and Tampa Bay in the WC chase.
- The Browns played well again in their second preseason game against the Detroit Lions, you can see our takeaways here.
- Rookie Barkevious Mingo has been the talk of all rookies after the first game, left the game with bruised ribs, which later was found to be a possibly life threatening bruised lung.
- Mingo may miss the rest of preseason due to the injury.
- Camp breakout star Dion Lewis, he of the Darren Sproles comparisons, broke his leg in the game and could be gone for the season.
- Right guard Jason Pinkston also was injured in the game. Pinkston had just returned after long absence last year due to a blood clot. Pinkston had replaced Shawn Lauvao following Lauvao’s own ankle injury and later surgery.
- Rookie 7th Round pick Garrett Gilkey is now slated to start at RG.
- Expect the Browns to look at RBs and Offensive Linemen who are released during cuts.
- Keep up on all of our AFC North Unit by Unit rankings, start here with QBs and follow the links for the other Units.
- That is all for the Cavs this weekend.
What stood out to you from this weekend? What did we miss? What are you excited about coming up this week?