As the 2014 NFL Draft slowly winds its way towards us, or us towards it, the Cleveland Browns have a huge decision to make at #4. One of the possible targets is Johnny Manziel, a walking firestorm of love and criticism surely follows him all over. We will do our best here at FoS to cover some of the players, especially the QBs, that could be the cornerstone piece selected at #4. Today we look at the first video of Johnny Manziel from ESPN’s Jon Gruden’s QB Camp. This short video focuses on Manziel the person so this writer, a professional counselor, will give you some takeaways from that perspective since no real football was discussed. First take a look at the video if you haven’t seen it:
- Manziel was prepared for this session.
- He was most excited and most off script at the beginning when Gruden started talking about Johnny Football nickname.
- When talking about the first throw shown, Manziel shows his confidence in himself but can’t explain how he just knows how to make plays like that. His sub-conscious desire to win and belief in himself can be a blessing or curse.
- The pure effort play shown in the middle is another blessing and curse type play. Manziel’s desire to win means he may put himself in harms way but will do whatever he can on the field for his team.
- As he talked you can see some of his preparation as he talked about We and My Team.
- When Gruden was grinding him a bit on distractions Manziel chewed his bottom lip a bit. A sign that he realized how important it was that he respond correctly.
- His last line: “I’m a simple guy from a small town” is what Manziel hopes he can get across to teams though none of his behavior in the past year, year and a half show that being “simple” or “small town” is anywhere near his goals. His behavior has shown, even the outlandish shoes in the above Combine picture, that he has desires on being big time, big town type of person.
Gruden’s camp videos are fun. While most are positive it still gives us an inside look into a player. As you watch this video what do you see that interests you? Anything overly positive, negative?