Zydrunas Ilgauskas invited Lebron James to come to Cleveland for Big Z’s special night, when he gets his jersey retired. National media, specifically Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio, thought James’ comments last night, that he wanted to attend, were the starting point of the possible James return on Friday. They got clarification from “Lebron’s people” that Z in fact invited James to come for the event, as we covered yesterday. The question now is whether this was a smart decision by Z, in in conjunction the Cavaliers, or a poor choice. Lets take a look at both sides.
- Lebron is Z’s friend and his contributions helped make Z a better player.
- James’ team schedule allows for him to be there.
- It is Z’s party and he can do what he wants.
- Like a certain reported dinner in Miami while James was on the Cavs, this could grease the skids a bit.
- Z works in the Cavaliers front office and his job is to do what he can to help the team, his relationship with James could help.
- Z is getting more national recognition now due to inviting James.
- The Cavs look nothing but the welcoming host, all the pressure then falls on James.
- Z takes the attention he rightfully deserves and gives it to Lebron.
- The Cavs look like a begging ex, instead of a professional team.
- Lebron upstages the game and the Cavs players get distracted from the win.
- Lebron recruits current Cavaliers out of Cleveland.
- Every interaction with Lebron is scrutinized. “Did he shake Mike Brown’s, Kyrie’s, etc hands?”
- Dan Gilbert’s letter becomes a discussion piece again, as does any mannerism he has towards James.
- He plays for another team and the Cavs get charged with tampering.
But really we want your thoughts. What do you think of Z’s decision to invite James? Cold and calculating business move? Friendly and thoughful? Dumb? Tell us your thoughts.