The Cleveland Indians kicked off their season out in Oakland and many people missed it due to the late start times. Even the makeup game from the rain out was tough for many in Ohio due to starting while many were still at work. None the less the results are a 2 and 1 record with both some positives and negatives to take away from the games.
- The Tribe showed the same grit and determination they had last year in coming back to win.
- In Game 1 Justin Masterson threw a strong 7 innings only giving up 3 hits and 1 walk while striking out 4.
- The bullpen held the game scoreless for the remaining 2 innings.
- John Axford had 2 saves in the series, but gave up 2 walks in the first game (Hopefully just jitters)
- The Tribe scored 2 and 3 in the 9th innings of their wins.
- The bullpen only gave up 2 runs in the 3 game series.
- Both Zach McAllister and Corey Kluber lasted 4 innings or less giving up a combined 8 runs.
- 5 of the team’s 9 runs came off Jim Johnson who the Tribe has great success against.
- The Tribe left 11 men on base in both of their wins.
- They only pieced together 5 hits in their early day game loss.
- The team struggled to show much power from the plate.
- The bullpen was heavily used.
So going into their home opener tomorrow night the Indians have to be feeling good about themselves but see the obvious concerns. For the season the pitching staff and lack of power in the lineup has to be monitored. Can any of the starters give the Indians similar production to the now gone Ubaldo Jimenez or Scott Kazmir?
What did you take away from the first 3 games? What are you excited about? What are you concerned about?