1. Cincinnati Bengals, Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: Mike Brown’s never been shy about taking offensive players and Joe Burrow, a native of Athens, Ohio—is too irresistible. A southern Ohio kid who might hoist the Heisman Trophy in December? Yes, the quarterback needy Bengals would be interested.
Andy Dalton’s benching seemingly cements the fact Cincinnati will look for a quarterback in the first round, but the better decision long-term, might be to take Young and go all-in on tank job in an effort to land Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence in 2021.
2. Washington Redskins, Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia: The Redskins have committed to Dwayne Haskins for the remainder of this season, now it’s time to protect the 2019 first-round pick. With Trent Williams looking like he’s played his snap, Bruce Allen needs to go about find his replacement at left tackle. Chase Young is the best player on the board here, but the need to replace a franchise left tackle with another in Andrew Thomas is too great to pass up.
3. New York Giants, Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama: Yeah, this is a shocker with Young still on the board. Still, consider the Giants are desperate for a receiver after trading Odell Beckham Jr. to the Browns last offseason. Giants’ GM, Dave Gettleman–if he’s still employed in April– left the shelves bare. Jerry Jeudy re-stocks cabinet, even at the expense of passing on a player like Young.
4. Miami Dolphins, Chase Young, Ohio State: Young has been reinstated, so perhaps he could win the Heisman, making him the only true defensive player to do so. As for the Dolphins, even with multiple first-round picks, I don’t expect the Dolphins to go with quarterback here. This tank job is reminiscent of what the Browns did between 2016-2017.
Unless they love a quarterback, and I’m not sure Tua Tagovailoa is the answer, Miami might be better off going with the best player available and they’d love for Young to fall into their laps.
Remember, Cleveland went with Myles Garrrett a year ahead of drafting Baker Mayfield.
The Dolphins are the only team actively trying to lose. That signals to me they’re playing the long game, with a rainbow that leads to a pot of gold with Trevor Lawrence in it for 2021.
5. New York Jets, CeeDEE Lamb WR, Oklahoma: Sam Darnold will go into year three during the 2020 NFL season and the Jets have to start propping him up. A lot of other mocks have New York taking Andrew Thomas. I think they go offense and take CeeDee Lamb here. They lack of offensive playmakers in the receiving corps is too glaring a need.