The Emotionless Robot, AKA, Corey Kluber, flirted with perfection last night. Of course the Indians offense looked as flat as a week-old opened Coke, and the Tribe ended up falling, 2-1, in 14 innings.
Mike Moustakas got the only run off Kluber, in what Cleveland.com’s Zack Meisel described as a “Little League-style home run.”
You can almost see the steam coming out from under Kluber’s hat. As the adage goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Here’s what Raburn told the Associated Press after the game, regarding the botched play:
“It was a freak play,” he said. ”I was trying to hold up. I saw our infielders going toward third, and I tried to hold up. I couldn’t and of course the ball rolls halfway to center field.”
• Well, if things couldn’t get worse for the Tribe, they did. The Central-Division Leading Detroit Tigers went out and took care of a major need. The bullpen was a little shaky , so the team added closer Joakim Soria.
You’re move Chris Antonetti.
Unfortunately for the Tribe general manager, there isn’t a whole lot he can do to improve the team externally. The Indians could add some bullpen help, but as far a taking care of major holes, it’s not likely the team will be adding a power bat or a front-of-the-rotation starter.
The Tribe was said to be interested in Matt Kemp on Thursday, but that rumor is laughable, considering Kemp still has $7 million coming his way. That’s on top of the five-years, $107 million Kemp has left on his current deal.
According to Jim Bowden, the Indians are looking for talent they can control for awhile. This would rule out David Price, which seemed unlikely, anyway.
Indians not looking for rental trades rather trades for players with multi-year control
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) July 24, 2014
• Andrew Wiggins finally signed his contract with the Cavaliers, which means the team shop can finally move some jerseys.
• Fox Sports’ Ohio reporter Sam Amico said that Wiggins has not been offered in any trade proposal to to the Timberwolves for Kevin Love.
This contradicts what a lot of the national writers have reported.
Writers talk to different people and have different sources. Wiggins may eventually be traded, but Amico’s just reporting what he’s hearing as of right now.
Continue to hear, despite Andrew Wiggins' name likely coming up in talks, Cavs have not offered him in any trade proposal.
— Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) July 24, 2014
• In Browns’ Town, Josh Gordon entered rehab following his arrest for OVI earlier in the month. You’re guess is as good as mine as to how this affects his appeal hearing, which is set for Aug. 1. Forgetting football, it’s good to see Gordon taking a positive step.
• And incase you missed it, Frank Caliendo reads LeBron James’ “Coming Home” essay in the voice of Morgan Freeman, from the Shawshank Redeption.
— Mike & Mike (@MikeAndMike) July 24, 2014