Apr 25, 2013; New York, NY, USA; Barkevious Mingo (LSU) is introduced as the number six overall pick to the Cleveland Browns during the 2013 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
The NFL Draft is just over 2 weeks away, which in internet time is a lifetime. A lifetime for information, misinformation, analysis, over analysis and hope. Today we take a look at what we think we know about the Top 6 picks. The Houston Texans, St. Louis Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders and Atlanta Falcons control the board and the direction of the entire draft. First we will look at a couple overall points we think we know, then hit specific ones for each team as well as a surprise option for each:
Overall Things We Think We Know
- The following players will be selected in the Top 6 picks: Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack, Greg Robinson and Sammy Watkins.
- It is more likely now that zero QBs are taken in the Top 6 picks then all 3 are.
- The depth of the WR class could push down Watkins and Mike Evans, who sit at the top on most people’s boards.
- The top picks have less trade value then in years past, making trades both easier and harder at the same time.
Houston Texans Things We Think We Know
- The Texans are down to Jadeveon Clowney or Blake Bortles for the #1 pick.
- Confidence in Bill O’Brien’s coaching abilities could steer the ship away from Bortles.
- Surprise Pick: Khalil Mack
- Trade Possibility: Low. The Texans might love to trade down but would struggle to get the needed return. Best option would be Buffalo or Atlanta trading up for Clowney.
St. Louis Rams Things We Think We Know
- The Rams are down to Greg Robinson or Sammy Watkins.
- The Rams would love Clowney to fall to 2 to start a bidding war.
- Surprise Pick: Mike Evans
- Trade Possibility: The Rams may be willing to take a little less then most with this high pick after acquiring it from the Redskins. Falcons, Bills and others would be a possibility with Clowney on the board. Mack could also create interest.
Jacksonville Jaguars Things We Think We Know
- The Jags are down to Clowney, Mack or Bortles.
- The Jags have plenty of holes that they will most likely go with the highest rated player no matter position.
- Surprise Pick: Johnny Manziel
- Trade Possibility: If Sammy Watkins is on the board some teams may try to jump Cleveland to get him. The Lions, Bucs and others would be in that mix. The Jags could pick up another asset in a deep draft to move down.
Cleveland Browns Things We Think We Know
- The Browns could select: Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Clowney, Bortles, or Manziel.
- The Browns have kept things very secretive and will be greatly impacted by the selections above them.
- Surprise Pick: Justin Gilbert
- Trade Possibility: If one of the 4 “stud” guys is still available the Browns could find themselves in a bidding war with teams trying to jump the Raiders and Falcons. This includes the Lions, Bucs, Bills and others.
Oakland Raiders Things We Think We Know
- The Raiders will select the player that can have the biggest impact immediately: Watkins, Evans, Mack or Evans.
- The Raiders have huge needs across the board so any pick could be the right pick.
- Surprise Pick: Aaron Donald
- Trade Possibility: If 1 or 2 QBs are off the board the Raiders could leverage one of the top guys, similar to the Browns, as trade bait. Trading up to 5 is far cheaper then trading up to #2.
What do you think you know for this up coming draft?