Analysis from another embarrassing Cleveland Browns loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers at FirstEnergy Stadium Sunday afternoon.
1. Corey Coleman has a little Greg Little in him. The Browns looked like they were moving the ball on their first series then Coleman dropped another pass without much resistance from the defensive back. You could see his helmet was already turned downfield. Catch the ball, Corey!
It’s crazy Coleman can make crazy-level type catches as he did over the Steelers late in the game and then drop gimmes like the one in the first quarter.
2. Cody Kessler still can’t consistently throw deep! Kessler was intercepted by the Steelers on the Steelers’ 3-yard line. The ball came up very short of its target. He’s leaving touchdown on the field.
Before Kessler got knocked out, he was 7 of 14 for 128 yards. He did average 9.14 yards per completion, but come on, use your eyes. He proved he’s not the answer for this team! He holds the ball too long and takes too many sacks. He doesn’t have the arm in the weather to throw deep or in close coverage. Additionally, he doesn’t make plays that help his team win the game.
Look at this sequence from the third quarter. It’s a microcosm of what Kessler is. He drives the Browns 54 yards. The Browns have 1st down and Goal from the Steelers 1. Isaiah Crowell rushes for -2 yards. But then Kessler takes a sack for -5 yards. On the next play, he holds on to the ball and scrambles for two yards. The Browns settle for a 24-year field goal. They went backwards. Ridiculous.
3. The Browns defense proved yet again, they need big time help. Le’Veon Bell ran through them like a hot knife through butter. He scored a touchdown and rushed for 146 yards and 5.2 yards per carry.
The defensive linemen can’t get off the Steeler blocks!! They are basically at a stand still and can’t pressure or even tackle anyone!
And how many missed tackles can you commit on defense? If your the Browns, quite a few! Penalties also really hurt the defense!
4. To run the inept offensive line–especially the right side–is akin to giving Kessler or whomever’s playing quarterback a death sentence. They continually get pushed into the backfield. Erving is a lost cause!
Late in the game Erving continued to show why he should be selling Big Macs. A holding call and illegal snap call on consecutive plays! His team bailed him out by scoring a touchdown later in the drive.
Pittsburg had seven sacks today after only totaling thirteen all season. That speaks volumes of the lack of talent on the offensive line and the inability of the backs to pick up blitzes.
5. Cody Kessler took a vicious shot and Josh McCown came in to relieve him. He hooked up with Gary Barnidge for Barnidge’s first TD of the year. Of course, Cody Parkey missed the point after. Too late Sashi Brown. Robbie Gould is now a Giant! If Parkey makes this kick, the Browns go down 17-10 and are in the game. Instead, the miss put them down eight. Yeah, it’s one possession, but it might’ve well as been 20 points to this team.
McCown gave the Browns offense the spark Hue Jackson was looking for last week, and we may see more of him…or Robert Griffin III. Hue Jackson said the Browns may have to shut Kessler down after that hit he took on Sunday.
6. Thank God for Terrelle Pryor or this team would be totally helpless on offense. They better sign him to a long-term deal. He is one and maybe besides Barnidge one of the only bright spots on offense.
7. The Final in this was 24-9. If you’re a fan, how are you supposed to feel. I mean, you could feel this one slipping away on the second possession. You remember, the offense went backwards and faced 4th and 33. Boos cascaded down from fans. Judging by the empty seats, the fans are beginning to show their discouragement with the lack of any progress from this lack luster, void of playmakers, terrible excuse of a so-called professional team.
This is evidently what get when non-football people run the store! It’s time to get a football mind involved!
I don’t think it’s a lack of effort as it’s more a lack of talent.most of these players would be lucky to be backups anywhere else. That’s why there is no progress being shown!