Ten things I think about Ohio State’s CFP chances, Dwayne Haskins’ Heisman Trophy chances, and Notre Dame angst.
1. Ohio State had the type of victory they needed in the Big Ten Championship game to boost their College Football Playoff talk, unfortunately, Oklahoma did too, avenging their only loss of the season to Texas.
2. When Buckeye nation feels slighted by placing fifth in the committee’s final rankings, go ahead and put Notre Dame in your social media trolling cross-hairs.
3. The Irish are undefeated–so is UCF)–so don’t let that be end-all, be-all argument for the Irish getting in.
More from Factory of Sadness
- Cleveland Guardians calling Gavin Williams up more than a year after minor league debut
- Kyle Kuzma is not a good fit for the Cleveland Cavaliers
- The Cleveland Browns offensive line is still seen as one of the best in the league
- The Cleveland Cavaliers are rumored to be interested in trading Cedi Osman to get back in the 2023 NBA Draft
- The Cleveland Browns leap up in PFF’s post draft ranking
4. Consider the Buckeyes and Notre Dame had two common opponents in Michigan and Northwestern. Ohio State outscored these schools by a combined 44 points, Notre Dame beat these two programs by a combined 17 points.
5. The Irish didn’t have to play a championship game, which goes to show you how backwards college football truly is. How you can you have no conference affiliate with the current playoff format being what it is.
6. The Irish’s win against a six-loss USC in their final game of the season forecasted what the committee will get by letting Notre Dame in. It took 50 minutes of letting the Trojans hang around until Notre Dame finally realized their the No.3 ranked team in the country.
Assuming the Irish are No. 3 in the CFP’s final rankings, they’ll have a date against Clemson in the semifinals. Look for Notre Dame to get waxed.
7. Dwayne Haskins Heisman stock took big boost following his performance in the Big Ten championship. He threw for 499 yards and five touchdowns.
In his last three games, he’s thrown for 1,393 yard and 17 touchdowns.
8. It helps Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa struggled big time in his team’s biggest game of the season. Against No. 4 Georgia in the SEC title game, He was 10 for 25, 164 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs. He left the game because of injury with his team trailing.
Kyler Murray was stellar for Oklahoma.
Haskins’ closed the gap, but ultimately, it’s still probably not enough.
9. It’s been a long season for the Buckeyes, but Ohio State can still hang its head on a 12-1 mark and a Big Ten championship to boot. This even after all the controversy surrounding Urban Meyer and the preseason dismissal of wide receiver’s coach Zach Smith.
10. Instead of a CFP berth, Ohio State will be playing in the Rose Bowl. Washington is on the docket. The Buckeyes should end this controversial season with a win. Not a bad consolation prize.