Ohio State football: 2021, Greatest recruiting class of all time?

Ohio State Football (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)
Ohio State Football (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images) /

The 2021 recruiting class of 2021 could be the great ever in Ohio State football history.

The Ohio State football program is on the brink of landing its greatest recruiting class in the history of the program.

Ryan Day and the Buckeyes already have three of the top 10 prospects from the 2021 class locked up, and 247Sports projects the Buckeyes adding two more prospects before it’s all said and done. if things shake out like they’re supposed to, Ohio State will have landed five of the nation’s top 10 recruits.

The Buckeyes recruiting strength was recently highlighted by Fox Sports, which listed commit Jack Sawyer as the third greatest recruit in program history, behind only Terrelle Pryor and Ted Ginn jr.

Sawyer, still has a senior season to play at suburban Columbus powerhouse Pickerington North, and is a rated as a five-star recruit. Sawyer goes into his final prep seasons as the country’s fifth rated prospect.

Day’s also gotten a commitment from offensive lineman Donovan Jackson, who’s leaped from the No. 11 rated prospect to No. 6 ahead of the 2021 campaign. With a year of high school play left to play, Jackson already checks in at 6-foot-4, 308 pounds.  He plays for Episcopal and hails from Bellaire, Texas.

The third commit, running back TreVeyon Henderson, improved his stock in 247Sports.com’s eyes, jumping from 13th to 10th in its 2021 recruiting rankings. The Hopewell High School product hails from Virginia.

Site writer Bill Kurelic noted the Buckeyes are projected to land the top overall recruit in 2021 in J.T. Tuimoloau, who plays defensive end. Emekea Egbuka, a wide receiver rated as the No. 8 recruit, is also forecasted to choose the Buckeyes.

Tuimoloau, who projects as a strong side defensive end, plays for Eastside Catholic and hails from Sammamish, Wash. The 247Sports experts give him a 92.3 percent chance of picking the Buckeyes, and a 7.7 percent chance of staying in state to play for the Washington Huskies.

Egbuka, also a native a Washington, plays for Stellacom. Experts give him a 94.1 percent chance of picking Ohio State, while a 5.9 percent chance of picking another school. No school was listed as a possible second choice, although he has offers from all the big programs, such as Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, as well as in-state Washington.

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. That was the mantra under Urban Meyer, as the Buckeyes went from a powerhouse in the midwest, to a school who could pluck the top players from anywhere in the country on a consistent basis.

Browns' 6 best one-season wonders since 1999. dark. Next

For those who worried when Meyer stepped down, Day seems to be getting a long without missing a beat.