Keep: Deshaun Watson, Jacoby Brissett, Josh Rosen
Cut: Joshua Dobbs
– With Deshaun Watson eventually getting suspended this year, the Browns will carry a third quarterback. This used to be the league norm but fewer and fewer teams carry a third quarterback anymore. Watson’s contract is making sure he won’t be going anywhere. Then Jacoby Brissett has been viewed as the “real” starter for the 2022 all offseason. Lastly, I think Josh Rosen edges out Joshua Dobbs for one simple reason, if they were high on Dobbs, Rosen wouldn’t be here.
Keep: Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, D’Ernest Johnson, Jerome Ford (R), Demetrifc Felton*
Cut: John Kelly
– The Cleveland Browns will keep at least three running backs on their roster at all times, just due to the nature of the team. Those three locks are Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, and D’Ernest Johnson. Things could change in a hurry, however, if Hunt or Johnson are traded at some point, which I think will happen. The Browns will carry Jerome Ford as their fourth back, and while I have Felton making the team it won’t be as a running back.
Keep: Johnny Stanton
– He’s the only player at his position, and his versatility will allow him to play a true fullback role, while also being able to play tight end.
Wide Receivers (6*)
Keep: Amari Cooper, Donovan Peoples-Jones, David Bell (R), Michael Woods (R), Jakeem Grant Sr., Anthony Schwartz
Cut: Ja’Marcus Bradley, Derrick Dillon, Mike Harley (R), Travell Harriss (R), Isaiah Weston (R), Javon Wims, Daylen Baldwin (R)
– Depending on the way the Browns configure their offense, I can easily see them carrying six or seven receivers. If they carry six, Anthony Schwartz will be the last to get cut, otherwise, he’ll make the team. So that brings up the question, whose number seven? Demetric Felton. I think Felton makes the team as a receiver, or not at all. So between the receivers and backs, the Browns will carry 11 guys total.
Tight End (3)
Keep: David Njoku, Harrison Bryant, Miller Forristall
Cut: Nakia Griffin-Stewart, Zaire Mitchell-Paden, Marcus Santos-Silva
– This isn’t going to be too different from years past, the Browns will run out three tight ends for a game and will have a fourth option in Johnny Stanton to fill in. Depending on how Stanton does in training camp, he may very well end up making Miller Forristall expendable. I have Forristall making the team just due to his blocking,. I wouldn’t be surprised if Griffin-Stewart or Mitchell-Paden made the team but college basketball player, Santos-Silva is a likely cut.
Offensive Line (9)
Keep: T Jedrick Wills, T Jack Conklin, T James Hudson, OL Chris Hubbard, G Joel Bitonio, G Wyatt Teller, OL Blake Hance, C Dawson Deaton, C. Ethan Pocic
Cut: T Alex Taylor, T Ben Petrula, G David Moore, G Hjalte Froholdt, G Drew Forbes, OL Michael Dunn, C Brock Hoffman, C Nick Harris
– This will come down to a lot of factors, health, production, and versatility. Guys like Chris Hubbard, Blake Hance, and Dawson Deaton can be listed at multiple spots, which is a huge asset. Hudson seems unlikely to be cut due to the high hopes the franchise has for him. As for the notable cuts, Forbes has yet to show what he can do when healthy, Dunn may end up on the practice squad (or is my 10th man should the team carry that many) and the coaches brought in three names (Deaton, Pocic and Hoffman) to compete with Harris because they didn’t have faith in him.